Friday, December 22, 2023

TO LET THE PRESENT AND THE FUTURE ALONE


"The ideas of my friend Watson, though limited, are exceedingly pertinacious. For a long time he has worried me to write an experience of my own."--Sherlock Holmes, "The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier"

Sherlock Holmes rather famously began his account of "The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier" with a memorable explanation of why he was choosing to write of the events rather than leaving the task to Dr. Watson. His tone begins slightly snarky and then gives way to admitting "...the matter must be presented in such a way as may interest the reader."

For those of you kind enough to read along with this space over the past twenty months you know I've been somewhat obsessed with the finding of the best possible way for me to write "an experience of my own" and to do so "in such a way as may interest the reader."  I've studied Arthur Conan Doyle's words repeatedly in that time and written here every fourteen days or so about the studying, Doyle, Sherlock Holmes, and Dr. Watson. The intention has been to help me think about the process of creating two manuscripts for Belanger Books.

The books are now finished and orders are being filled. I think it may be time to stop "Doting on Doyle" for awhile. I need to expand my reading diet  and see what the muse brings for the next writings. I'm not clear as to what is next but it may not include Doyle, Holmes or Watson.

In "The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier," James M. Dodd tells Sherlock Holmes about a conversation he had with Colonel Emsworth wherein the Colonel warned Dodd off of asking questions. He told Dodd: "...but I would ask you to let the present and the future alone. Such inquiries serve no useful purpose, sir, and place us in a delicate and difficult position."

I have one Holmes-related writing obligation due soon. Once it is finished, I'm going "to let the present and the future alone."  It is time to sit quietly and see what comes; questioning myself about what is next serves no useful purpose. I simply don't know yet. 

I have no doubt the answer will come. As Sherlock Holmes taught me: "Are there not subtle forces at work of which we know little?"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment